How our current personnel fit in Spags' 4-3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dksww said:

How expensive will he be though?

Well in reading up the past couple days, it sounds like Spags values his safeties as much as any other position on the field.

Im sure you agree with upcoming extensions (Reek/Jones) and a couple binding veteran contracts (Berry/Houston) that the Chiefs will likely only have the money for one "splash" signing with regard to outside free agents.

The CB market is super weak. The FS market is stacked. The CB pool in the draft is deep. The FS draft pool, as always, is more thin. Im just connecting dots here, but if Collins isnt franchised this makes lots of sense. 

6 minutes ago, dksww said:

How expensive will he be though?

Not trading him by the deadline probably means a tag at this point. They won't be letting him go for a 3rd in 2020. Not sure if they would give him up for a 2nd and a player but I would definitely test their interest. 

1 hour ago, FANATIC said:

I do not see KC improving much without a complete change in both safties , at least one good corner , and a great linebacker added. Scheme will not fix lack of talent. Stuck with Berry and his contract. It is what it is. Assume he wont start and get 2 new experienced safties unless there is a sure pick at #1. Cut Sorenson & Ragland and the rest are back ups. 

I  don't think we are too far off, even if we stay with the same people we have in  the same positions,  stay in the 3-4 , and add some talent through the draft.  We have the personnel to move to a 4-3 , but may or may not be able to get all the people we need to be a top flight group. 

Most of the problems we had in Defense has been more philosophical.  We emphasized trying to prevent big plays,  hence seeing the 2 deep safety look and trying to keep everything in front of them.  The aggressiveness simply was not there.  Sutton hoped to keep people from scoring on big plays and that a normal pass rush would get home.  Our secondary was asked to maintain coverage for way too long.  I do not expect the 85 Bears ,  right off the bat.  I do expect that we can improve the Defense pretty quickly. 

Our biggest issue facing us is Salary Cap and determining which players we are going to keep.  

If we do decide to go 4-3, I can't see Dee Ford fitting well.  He's not someone that's gonna hold the edge as a DE in a 4-3, and he's not a good fit as an OLB in a 4-3.  Houston could probably transition to a 4-3 DE.  I assume we'd move Hitchens inside, but we'd need linebacker help on the outside.  And DB's. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well in reading up the past couple days, it sounds like Spags values his safeties as much as any other position on the field.

Im sure you agree with upcoming extensions (Reek/Jones) and a couple binding veteran contracts (Berry/Houston) that the Chiefs will likely only have the money for one "splash" signing with regard to outside free agents.

The CB market is super weak. The FS market is stacked. The CB pool in the draft is deep. The FS draft pool, as always, is more thin. Im just connecting dots here, but if Collins isnt franchised this makes lots of sense. 

Right, I think they'll look for a Safety in FA while looking to add CBs in the draft.

If Collins isn't available, I'm sure they'll make a run for E. Thomas.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

If we do decide to go 4-3, I can't see Dee Ford fitting well.  He's not someone that's gonna hold the edge as a DE in a 4-3, and he's not a good fit as an OLB in a 4-3.  Houston could probably transition to a 4-3 DE.  I assume we'd move Hitchens inside, but we'd need linebacker help on the outside.  And DB's. 

I agree with this. Im also wondering if we retain berry could he play an olb position. 

2 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

I  don't think we are too far off, even if we stay with the same people we have in  the same positions,  stay in the 3-4 , and add some talent through the draft.  We have the personnel to move to a 4-3 , but may or may not be able to get all the people we need to be a top flight group. 

Most of the problems we had in Defense has been more philosophical.  We emphasized trying to prevent big plays,  hence seeing the 2 deep safety look and trying to keep everything in front of them.  The aggressiveness simply was not there.  Sutton hoped to keep people from scoring on big plays and that a normal pass rush would get home.  Our secondary was asked to maintain coverage for way too long.  I do not expect the 85 Bears ,  right off the bat.  I do expect that we can improve the Defense pretty quickly. 

Our biggest issue facing us is Salary Cap and determining which players we are going to keep.  

We agree to disagree. I saw much lack of talent. Especially in coverage. Those guys will suck in any scheme. Need new safties and at least one new corner. The current safties can take a stink hike.

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

I do think this is the biggest argument you could make for going ahead and doing the alignment changes.  Paying 40 mil to 2 edge guys and having to sink significant resources into landing some inside guys probably wouldn't be sustainable.  Feels like they're going to reset completely on Defense and it's hard to debate against doing so.

In the long run you could make sense of it.  Considering the current circumstances, you do have to wonder why.

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

I do think this is the biggest argument you could make for going ahead and doing the alignment changes.  Paying 40 mil to 2 edge guys and having to sink significant resources into landing some inside guys probably wouldn't be sustainable.  Feels like they're going to reset completely on Defense and it's hard to debate against doing so.

I could almost see Houston and Ford being traded or let walk. Jones and Speaks as the DE's 

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I could almost see Houston and Ford being traded or let walk. Jones and Speaks as the DE's 

They might hold onto one of them to help the transition along, but I'm having a real hard time thinking both of them are staying.

I'd just make the clean break and do it over the right way, starting now.  But if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably release Houston and keep Ford for one more year.

As Terez alluded too its almost like Veach knew we were going to switch to a 4-3 when he drafted last year. And Veach has made several comments about "experimenting" with Speaks this year almost admitting he was moving back to the dline where he belongs. Terez seems to think this could work fast, but I'm not so sure. 

We save about $9.5M if we cut Berry...I’m wondering who we could get in FA for that?  Guessing Collins will be closer to $12-$15M.  Maybe Earl Thomas for $10M because of age?

id say Houston is trade bait if he won’t restructure.  Can save about $15M if we trade him and the new team would only have to pay him $15.5M, which is not horrible these days.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Jones is your 3 tech.  He's not a jumbo end and not a leo.  I think he excels at 3 tech.  Ford might be fine as the leo.  It's not the traditional defensive end anyway, it's your designated pass rusher and typically is backed by the Mike and Will on weakside runs.   

8 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I don’t think he fits either.  He sucks against the run, and I don’t see how someone could justify paying him the franchise tag to be a situational player. 

I’m also wondering if it’s to late in the game this year for Spags to bring in any of his own coaches. Seems like something that’s pretty important to changing defensive culture.  Can’t help but wonder if Berry isn’t a problem there as well. Nobody else can claim a leadership role with him here. We’ve gotta know he can be healthy. 

9 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Derrick Thomas thrived there and they have similiar size and styles. Dee is kind of DT Light

6 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Derrick Thomas thrived there and they have similiar size and styles. Dee is kind of DT Light

Yeah I think it's an overblown problem personally.  First off he's gotten better against the run.  Not great but better.  Second, nobody gets paid to stop the run for a reason.  It's a passing league and guys that can rush get the premium.  There's a reason Seattle and Baltimore made a little noise but ultimately flamed out.

Most qbs today can get rid of the ball in 3 seconds.   This pretty much takes the pass rush option out of a front 7.  I have read all of these scenarios.   Are we assuming Bailey will not be in the mix.  And if we franchise Ford,  is he big enough to play DE?

Archived