Spags players coming here?

5 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I know it sounds crazy but is there anyone out there in FA that we would rather have?    Is it possible we try and tag and trade Ford for a 2nd and then just cut Houston.   

Maybe sign a guy like Frank Clark for the Leo?   

Assuming the Chiefs switch to a 4-3, they really don't need Ford.  If they could get a early/mid second, the draft pick could be worth more.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Assuming the Chiefs switch to a 4-3, they really don't need Ford.  If they could get a early/mid second, the draft pick could be worth more.

I would be fine with a 3rd second round pick and maybe a 5th too. That would give us 5 picks in the first 100? Good time to load up on picks and spend money on our own to resign and go after a good FA or two.

51 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I still think some GM would give up more than a 3rd for him. A 2nd and a 4th would be pretty good but wouldn't be surprised to see a 1st on the table if some sort of a bidding war starts.

Packers have #12 and Saints pick at #30.  Could maybe see them throw #30 at us.  Then I’d like to see us trade one of our first rounds to Philly for both there late 2nd rounds.

1st:  #30

2nd:  #21, #25, #29, #32

44 minutes ago, Balto said:

Packers have #12 and Saints pick at #30.  Could maybe see them throw #30 at us.  Then I’d like to see us trade one of our first rounds to Philly for both there late 2nd rounds.

That sounds like a sweet deal. 2nd is a very good place to pick up some solid starters and with 4-3 we could actually get some production out of the rookies. However Packers giving up a pick for Ford with Matthews and Fackrell in town is very unlikely. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

That sounds like a sweet deal. 2nd is a very good place to pick up some solid starters and with 4-3 we could actually get some production out of the rookies. However Packers giving up a pick for Ford with Matthews and Fackrell in town is very unlikely. 

Mathews is a FA. They may want to move younger at the position now.

39 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Let's hope they do and with some familiarity due to their new coach they make Ford a high priority target. 

What I was thinking. Thing is GB hardly ever goes after FA or trades for them. Hopefully the LB coach talks them into it.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

He just doesn’t have enough junk in the trunk to play DE n a 4-3 in the NFL.  I think they would run the ball at him all day long.

Melvin Ingram is slightly smaller than Ford and had a career high in sacks, QB pressures and TFL after making switch from OLB to 4-3 DE in 2017.  

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Melvin Ingram is slightly smaller than Ford and had a career high in sacks, QB pressures and TFL after making switch from OLB to 4-3 DE in 2017.  

I didn’t realize that they were that close in size. Measurements don’t always tell me what will happen on the field. Ford had more than 50 tackles this year but has never sniffed 40 before. I would take Ingram over Ford. I have seen guys blowupin there contract year and then disappear after a big contract. And I have seen Gus bring it year after year. That is the difference between these two IMO.

Yeah, I think Ford should be the one allowed to go in FA, as long as we get one of those other guys who are more versatile.  Like I mentioned before, and others, he is a one-trick pony and relies on his phenomenal first step to be effective.  With his past back issues, the inevitable slowing down of that fast-twitch first step, and the new 4-3, he really is a good risk to let leave.

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah, I think Ford should be the one allowed to go in FA, as long as we get one of those other guys who are more versatile.  Like I mentioned before, and others, he is a one-trick pony and relies on his phenomenal first step to be effective.  With his past back issues, the inevitable slowing down of that fast-twitch first step, and the new 4-3, he really is a good risk to let leave.

you know I agreed with this initially, but there once was another Chiefs LB who was bad against the run and kind of a one trick pony . . . DT58

Ohh baby, what a trick!

1 hour ago, the Warparty said:

you know I agreed with this initially, but there once was another Chiefs LB who was bad against the run and kind of a one trick pony . . . DT58

Ohh baby, what a trick!

Yeah but if Ford had 10, 20, 13.5 and 14.5 sacks in his first 4 seasons like DT plus play in pretty much every game we would not even be debating him staying.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:00 AM, Balto said:

Saints don't have 30.  They traded that pick to Green Bay last year to move up and draft Davenport.  So, Green Bay has 12 and 30.

12 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah but if Ford had 10, 20, 13.5 and 14.5 sacks in his first 4 seasons like DT plus play in pretty much every game we would not even be debating him staying.

Consider those stats were in a much more run happy NFL, and yeah there really is no comparison.    I hope we don't overpay for the guy....actually I only hope we tag him at best.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:06 PM, DieHard said:

I didn’t realize that they were that close in size. Measurements don’t always tell me what will happen on the field. Ford had more than 50 tackles this year but has never sniffed 40 before. I would take Ingram over Ford. I have seen guys blowupin there contract year and then disappear after a big contract. And I have seen Gus bring it year after year. That is the difference between these two IMO.

I was just pointing our his size isn't something that would necessarily keep him from excelling at defensive end. Especially when that was his natural position coming out of college. But you are 100 percent right there are other issues and potential red flags with Ford which is why I'd tag him over signing him long term even though we would save significantly in 2019. 

But any plan letting the NFL leader in QB pressures and forced fumbles walk for the 100th pick in the draft in 2019 is just crazy. Thats the one direction Im not good with at all. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Consider those stats were in a much more run happy NFL, and yeah there really is no comparison.    I hope we don't overpay for the guy....actually I only hope we tag him at best.

Run happy or not that means less chances for sacks and the guy still was there every game.  Tag Ford and prove it or trade him is what I want too. I hope we dont get hung up again on a bad contract and takes away chances to win it all.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

What happened to KPass?  Is he just unable to learn, or is it just that he is unsuited for a 3-4 and might be better under Spags?

Good question.  The hope here is that a new coach will teach him to use his considerable physical skills to play DE in a 4-3 defense.  The other side is that he just couldn't adjust and is a bust.  One of my gripes about the Sutton era is that too many projects never developed.  Maybe that can change a little. 

Archived