Could Rams "superteam" approach start to get more takers?

2 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I think that its always going to be a mix....every year we see the big splash free agency/trade teams and because for the first time in 20 years someone actually made it work (i'll say the Elway teams did it last) it looks like the new model.  Not really, its already being done every year....

sustainable plans are proven to work...but at the same time know when your window is there...

The rookie pool was a game changer though. There is just a dramatic advantage for those teams who have a good rookie contract QB. Heck even a solid QB in this situation is an advantage. Having an elite guy like we do puts us ahead of 90 percent of the league for the next 3 years. And that has to create at least some sense of urgency that wasn't there before. 

57 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's not that easy to get an elite QB for most teams.  Either they have to be so pathetic that they have a top pick in a year with good talent coming out, trade away valuable picks to move up, or get lucky like the Chiefs and grab a unique talent at the  #10 spot,  And sometimes teams whiff even when in position to pick high.  It's a balancing act between elite QB and supporting team and you need both to win.  LAC is a prime example of a team with a top QB and some good supporting talent but a team that never went to the SB.

Yep. But I think as teams recognize the advantage teams like the Chiefs now have, they will start throwing more darts at the board and getting those players playing earlier than maybe they should. We might be at the cusp of seeing the bottom third of this league get even worse.

You just cannot understate how we caught lightning in a bottle of sorts with the rookie pool, rule changes, getting an elite talent at 10, having a great mentor in Alex and a QB guru in Andy Reid. It's a formula very few teams will be able to pull off. I expect the Raiders to try with Kyler Murray actually if they can dump Carr.

29 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Loading up with talent while your QB is still on a cheap rookie deal isn't something the Rams invented and they won't be the last team to do it.

Nobody with a rookie QB has gone all in like this before. And its not about who invented it, its about who made it work. 

Bruh how many players they need lol (after the Rams added their 4th former 1st round draft pick to the 2018 roster)

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Nobody with a rookie QB has gone all in like this before. And its not about who invented it, its about who made it work. 

Bruh how many players they need lol (after the Rams added their 4th former 1st round draft pick to the 2018 roster)

So what you're saying is that the Seahawks didn't go all in when they acquired Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett or that it didn't work?  The Rams weren't even the first NFC West team to do it lol

19 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

So what you're saying is that the Seahawks didn't go all in when they acquired Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett or that it didn't work?  The Rams weren't even the first NFC West team to do it lol

Good point. But I'd contendt the Seahawks had a very young and cheap overall roster and signed Avril and Bennett to be part of the long term core not to try some one year go all in attempt. Harvin had become toxic in Minnesota similiar to Peters in KC. Definite similiarities though. I also don't think the total impact of the rookie pools which had just started when Wilson was drafted had hit home yet with many GMs who may have written this off as that rare 3rd round QB that hit and not something sustainable. 

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point. But I'd contendt the Seahawks had a very young and cheap overall roster and signed Avril and Bennett to be part of the long term core not to try some one year go all in attempt. Harvin had become toxic in Minnesota similiar to Peters in KC. Definite similiarities though. I also don't think the total impact of the rookie pools which had just started when Wilson was drafted had hit home yet with many GMs who may have written this off as that rare 3rd round QB that hit and not something sustainable. 

The Seahawks were pretty close to what the Rams are doing now.  I'm not a big believer in the method, but heck is it hard to argue the results.

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The rookie pool was a game changer though. There is just a dramatic advantage for those teams who have a good rookie contract QB. Heck even a solid QB in this situation is an advantage. Having an elite guy like we do puts us ahead of 90 percent of the league for the next 3 years. And that has to create at least some sense of urgency that wasn't there before. 

What the chiefs have done isn’t something that can be copied though.  QBs don’t do what Mahomes did so early.  Look how bad manning was as a rookie.  The chiefs identified and got a once in a generation talent.  This isn’t meant as a knock on Reid or Veach or the staff, but Mahomes has the kind of talent that makes people in charge look smarter than they really are.  Short of another Mahomes coming around in the draft, no team is going to be able to do what the chiefs have done, and if they try, they’re likely going to be .500 teams at best.  Nfl gms know that guys like Mahomes are the rarest of the rare. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

What the chiefs have done isn’t something that can be copied though.  QBs don’t do what Mahomes did so early.  Look how bad manning was as a rookie.  The chiefs identified and got a once in a generation talent.  This isn’t meant as a knock on Reid or Veach or the staff, but Mahomes has the kind of talent that makes people in charge look smarter than they really are.  Short of another Mahomes coming around in the draft, no team is going to be able to do what the chiefs have done, and if they try, they’re likely going to be .500 teams at best.  Nfl gms know that guys like Mahomes are the rarest of the rare. 

Mahomes is a once in a generation talent but so was Manning. Difference is Mahomes walked into the most ideal scenario imaginable with a talented surrounding cast, willing mentor to give him an invaluable redshirt year and a head coach who is the absolute best at understanding how to develop game plans around his QBs strengths.  Indeed this is a perfect storm that’s hard to duplicate.  Combine this with his rookie pool salary which is 5 times less than other elite QBs and we’ve got an unreal 3 year advantage over nearly everyone. 

But all that said the Rams are doing similiar. So it is possible.  As was pointed out so did Seattle.  I just think because of this we may want to be more aggressive in free agency than normal or at least asking question if we should. 

34 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Mahomes is a once in a generation talent but so was Manning. Difference is Mahomes walked into the most ideal scenario imaginable with a talented surrounding cast, willing mentor to give him an invaluable redshirt year and a head coach who is the absolute best at understanding how to develop game plans around his QBs strengths.  Indeed this is a perfect storm that’s hard to duplicate.  Combine this with his rookie pool salary which is 5 times less than other elite QBs and we’ve got an unreal 3 year advantage over nearly everyone. 

But all that said the Rams are doing similiar. So it is possible.  As was pointed out so did Seattle.  I just think because of this we may want to be more aggressive in free agency than normal or at least asking question if we should. 

Be aggressive with it but sign our best players first too. I think a few good signings or that one huge player is what we need to do. Draft well but do not go all in on 10 different FAs and then trade away future picks etc. 

51 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Be aggressive with it but sign our best players first too. I think a few good signings or that one huge player is what we need to do. Draft well but do not go all in on 10 different FAs and then trade away future picks etc. 

Agree completely. I’d target and overpay a perfect fit.  Even sign a few pricey 1 year band aids if it’s a clear need. But hold onto the draft picks and thus the cheap contracts that help pay for them. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I don't think the Rams are all that similar.  Goff is a good QB, but he's not great.  He doesn't have half the talent that Mahomes does.  The Rams also screwed themselves, because in two years they are probably a 6 win team and fielding crowds of 25k.  If they don't win it this year, they likely won't be a factor in the Super Bowl conversation for quite a while.   Beyond that, their "superteam" being in the super bowl is a super joke after the saints had the super bowl stolen from them.  

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

It's not that easy to get an elite QB for most teams.  Either they have to be so pathetic that they have a top pick in a year with good talent coming out, trade away valuable picks to move up, or get lucky like the Chiefs and grab a unique talent at the  #10 spot,  And sometimes teams whiff even when in position to pick high.  It's a balancing act between elite QB and supporting team and you need both to win.  LAC is a prime example of a team with a top QB and some good supporting talent but a team that never went to the SB.

It sure is very hard to find an elite guy as they don't grow on trees but I think we'll see less teams paying for non-elite QBs as they move forward. Even when the QB is elite the price tag is very important to actually assess the team's chances. Brady has never been the top paid QB even though he definitely deserves it but instead surrounded himself with solid talent which is the reason he keeps getting to the SB year after year. 

I think the key part is the QB performance / price with the surrounding cast. 

Another question is what would a Rams type approach look like here. Restructure Houston to lock him in for the next 3 years. Sign Ford to an extension or tag and trade him and sign a better fit. Sign Collins if he hits free agency. And then maybe a guy like Suh to a 1 year deal. Wouldn't that kind of be akin to an all in approach with draft picks filling any other voids? Not saying again I favor this. Just trying to figure out what we could do if we went in that direction. 

After the Patriots beat the Rams,  I don't think the Super Team  will hold water.  The Rams will have big Salary Cap problems soon and they are in need of help .  They have 22 free agents hitting the market and only 37 million in cap space.  Most of them will be looking to get paid considerably more. 

The Patriots model is much better.  Draft well.  Keep core guys around, but do not overpay.  Stay out of Free agency unless you can snag a guy for under market value. 

5 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

After the Patriots beat the Rams,  I don't think the Super Team  will hold water.  The Rams will have big Salary Cap problems soon and they are in need of help .  They have 22 free agents hitting the market and only 37 million in cap space.  Most of them will be looking to get paid considerably more. 

The Patriots model is much better.  Draft well.  Keep core guys around, but do not overpay.  Stay out of Free agency unless you can snag a guy for under market value. 

They dont draft all that well though. The big thing is to get a great QB and not have him take 30% of the cap space up.

33 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

They dont draft all that well though. The big thing is to get a great QB and not have him take 30% of the cap space up.

Yeah I wonder if the urgency in the front office here will make the mistake of overpaying guys like Dee Ford when it’s clear good coaching and game plan can mask some deficiency in talent.  The Pats D was middle of the pack until it mattered in te playoffs and then they looked great.  Gotta believe a lot of that can be attributed to gameplanning and coaching.    And we can only hope Mahomes will follow Tom’s lead when it comes to his contract.   

39 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Yeah I wonder if the urgency in the front office here will make the mistake of overpaying guys like Dee Ford when it’s clear good coaching and game plan can mask some deficiency in talent.  The Pats D was middle of the pack until it mattered in te playoffs and then they looked great.  Gotta believe a lot of that can be attributed to gameplanning and coaching.    And we can only hope Mahomes will follow Tom’s lead when it comes to his contract.   

Mahomes opting for a Brady-like approach to his contract would be a huge. Having the best QB around for a serious discount would create a very tough dynasty to beat and could create a new wave in NFL contracts. He'll already be making a lot more money through sponsorships so in the long run probably the smarter way to go.

2 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

Agree.  The Rams did the quick fix on defense and while they carried team last night, it wasn’t enough. Now half the key players on D are nearing or hitting free agency. Approach helped in short term but probably narrowed their Championship window considerably. 

And id bet money Peters becomes a real problem having to play essentially under a one year option deal in 2019. That’s one big thing we avoided and we get their second round pick this year to boot. 

37 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Rams couldn’t buy a Super Bowl this year. This team will sink once Goff’s rookie deal is done, given how much they already threw at Gurley and Donald. I’d say last night is exactly why you should never throw money at RBs...

Yes. Don't give RBs big contracts or draft them early. 

14 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Rams couldn’t buy a Super Bowl this year. This team will sink once Goff’s rookie deal is done, given how much they already threw at Gurley and Donald. I’d say last night is exactly why you should never throw money at RBs...

They'll probably extend Goff this year and start paying him in 2020. I think they go for some 1-year deals for a final push before they actually have to draft and develop the crew around Goff. 

Archived